Re: bauplan convergence

In a message dated 6/17/00 4:26:12 AM EST, scott_hartman@hotmail.com writes:

<< I have no problem envisioning theropods climbing trees from a functional
standpoint (grasping hands, lots of claws and what not), but there are simply
no theropods (or Archaeopteryx) that show scansorial adaptations.  So I doubt
scansorial gliding was important in the evolution of avian flight. >>

It is too premature to argue on this basis that scansorial gliding was not a
factor in the evolution of avian flight. All the known larger theropods are
well adapted to a cursorial lifestyle that evolved separately and
convergently in each lineage. We would not expect to find scansorial
adaptations remaining in such dinosaurs. But as Larry Martin has pointed out,
Archaeopteryx could well have been a scansorial animal; he has even restored
the skeleton in a scansorial pose at the museum in Lawrence, Kansas.