Re: bauplan convergence

From: "Ahmed al-Mahasa Sha'ad" <am_shaad@hotmail.com>
If this happend in origin of birds it does NOT mean it MUST happen in every
linage of tree-living predators.

So the question is, what drove this to happen in birds and not in the other tree-dwelling predators? What sort of circumstances, that are not present today, would make therapod dinosaurs fly? Many of the animals that live in trees today, or at least have some history of climbing trees, have fur, which could be adapted over the course of time, to become something like feathers. (Interestingly enough, the only flying mammal, the bat, uses skin flaps and not modified hair). So far, however, this hasn't happened. I see the evolution of hair into feathers to be much easier than the evolution of scales into feathers. So, if we have a population of small therapod dinosaurs living in the trees, fulfilling the role of, say, lemurs, why did the dinosaurs start to fly, and why haven't lemurs taken wing?