Re: Mesozoic rainforests?

In regards to Mesozoic rainforests....I'm not sure.

But, Dr. Kirk Johnson has discovered a rainforest in the modern Denver area
that was between 64-56 million years old.  Not Mesozoic, but very close.
Actually, it would be interesting to see if the climate that led to this
rainforest was a result of the KT event.  With a rainforest the size Johnson
estimates (he thinks it was large, but I don't know exactly how large) and the
timing of almost immediately after the KT event (almost immediately after in
geologic time), I would tend to think that MAYBE a KT climate change would have
led to this rainforest.  But, I haven't seen any of the fossils and even if I
did I couldn't even begin to tell.

Has anyone seen any of Johnson's fossils?

And, by the way, the precise reason why Johnson hypothesizes that there was a
rainforest was that he found thousands of plant fossils of leaves with drip
tips.  Some of them are closely related to plants living today.

Steve

---
Steve Brusatte-DINO LAND PALEONTOLOGY
SITE: http://www.geocities.com/stegob

Send FREE Greetings for Father's Day--or any day!
Click here: http://www.whowhere.lycos.com/redirects/fathers_day.rdct