RE: bauplan convergence

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-dinosaur@usc.edu [mailto:owner-dinosaur@usc.edu]On Behalf Of
Stanley Friesen
Sent: Saturday, June 17, 2000 10:03 AM
To: rob_redwing@hotmail.com
Cc: bettyc@flyinggoat.com; dinosaur@usc.edu
Subject: Re: bauplan convergence

At 11:18 PM 6/16/00 -0700, Rob Gay wrote:
>The main problem I have with avian flight originating in trees, is that I
>can't see a good reason for animals to be leaping from them, unless they
>had a sort of death wish.

Why do ordinary squirrels, ordinary lemurs, monkeys, lizards and snakes
leap from trees?

Whatever the reason, it is sufficiently compelling that many, if not most,
arboreal and scansorial animals do it.  Ergo, it is likely that any extinct
arboreal/scansorial animal would do so as well.<<

I've seen enough Nature shows to determine that a lot of the time its
because something is about to eat them.
A good glider neednt become a flyer as has been previsouly mentioned by
others.
An animal that can climb trees does so for...food, escaping a predator or
chasing something up a tree (may be others that I can't think of off the top
of my head). All may be reasons for a theropod to climb a tree.
Tracy
6