RE: bauplan convergence

I've seen enough Nature shows to determine that a lot of the time its
because something is about to eat them.

I've said this before (a long time ago) but: at least some gliding animals glide simply as a way of getting around. I have watched gliding lizards (Draco) in Borneo; they tend to simply sit on a vertical tree trunk, then dart across to an adjacent tree (for no apparent reason, but I presume to change stalking perches); the glide is almost horizontal - you can easily mistake them for butterflies at first glance.

Also in Borneo, I watched a giant flying squirrel (Petaurista) at Danum Valley, Sabah, in what I gathered was a nightly ritual - emerging from its roost tree at dusk and, after a few minutes, casually launching into a glide of 100 feet or so across the river into the forest. I assume that gliding enabled it to use the forest but roost in a tree well separated from it, perhaps for safety.

Anyway, gliders may glide without having either a predator on their tail or a prey item in their sights. For a highly-adapted glider, it's simply a low-cost way to commute.
--
Ronald I. Orenstein Phone: (905) 820-7886
1825 Shady Creek Court