Re: Polar dinosaurs

>plesiosaurs, ichthyosaurs?

If they were warm blooded, perhaps a layer of blubber.

Perhaps not. Blubber is pretty much a mammalian invention (at least among living animals). There is, though, a reptilian equivalent. The leatherback turtle, which ventures into some pretty cold waters, has an oil-suffused subcutaneous layer of tissue that seems to be the ecological equivalent of blubber. Leatherbacks - or at least the adults - are pretty much functional homeotherms, relying on their size, the oily insulating layer, and a countercurrent exchange system in their flippers to keep their body temperature elevated. I would not be surprised if the much larger pliosaurs, for example, were able to do the same.

--
Ronald I. Orenstein Phone: (905) 820-7886
1825 Shady Creek Court