Climbing Archaeopteryx (was Re: bauplan convergence)

Dinogeorge@aol.com wrote:

> But as Larry Martin has pointed out,
> Archaeopteryx could well have been a scansorial animal; he has even restored
> the skeleton in a scansorial pose at the museum in Lawrence, Kansas.

I have a problem with Archaeopteryx using its manual claws for climbing.
Modern birds spend a lot of time and effort maintaining their flight
feathers, and when not in use the wing tends to be folded tightly
against the body out of harms way. How would Archae manage to climb
using its manual claws without risking damage to its flight feathers?
Would it have been possible to fold the feathers back and out of the way
while extending the claws forward?

        Dann Pigdon
        GIS Archaeologist
        Melbourne, Australia