Re: bauplan convergence

In a message dated 6/19/00 3:30:14 PM EST, dannj@alphalink.com.au writes:

<< I've pretty much given up speculating on the origin of bird flight.
 There are just too many possible variables and too little direct
 evidence. You might as well ask how turtles developed shells: it
 requires the scapulae to somehow end up on the inside of the rib cage.
 How the heck did that ever happen? Sometimes I think logic is entirely
 the wrong approach to studying evolution. >>

I'm afraid I have to agree with you on this point, strongly. Speculating on
the whys and wherefores of the evolution and the possible behavior of fossil
animals is simply a giant waste of time. Either the answers are entirely
obvious or the answers are simply impossible to confirm.