Feathery-armed climbers (was Re: "Feathery fossil shows...")

In a message dated 6/22/2000 2:49:57 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
rob_redwing@hotmail.com writes:

>  I do not think (Once again, my personal opinion) that it
>  would be unreasonable for an early bird to climb trees with its forelimbs.

Well, the earliest birds didn't have alulae, leaving the thumb claw free, and
the primaries were attached to the back of digit II [digit III,
embryologically speaking, that is :-P], and digit III was apparently on the
inside of the hand, underneath the primaries, leaving it free for grasping,
so I wouldn't be surprised at all if small maniraptorans used their hands for
climbing.

Nick P.