Re: warm-bloodedness

Timothy Williams wrote:

Gather 20 species of birds at random, pluck off their feathers, and *then* see how different they look.

Or, let's go one step further. Let's just compare their skeletons. With most extinct theropods, all we have are dry bones. With modern birds, distinctions can be made using so much more criteria - plumage, behavior, internal anatomy, eggs and reproduction, etc. Strip birds down to their bare bones, and there's not a huge difference between an emu and an ostrich, or a crow and a starling. If all we knew of these species were their skeletons, we might put them in the same family.

For these reasons, the "families" of extinct theropod dinosaurs and "families" of modern birds are not directly comparable, I don't believe. Chalk and cheese.

Tim

Which brings up a very good point: Are the taxonomic "splitters" actually right? Are there indeed half a dozen species each of Apatosaurus and Edmontosaurus? Where does individual variation end and specific variation begin (e.g., Tyrannosaurus rex and Tyrannosaurus "x")? This seems to be a big part of current paleontological research, and one that I am very interested in.

Based on the known material, we are very likely *underdescribing* dinosaur species. But at the same time we also need to recognize that many things can never be determined from the fossil record--reproductive habits, colors and the like. Would it be more accurate, then, to say that dinosaur (or any fossil vertebrate) species are not species in the traditional sense?

I believe that a better understanding of paleobiogeography may play a key role in unraveling this riddle. It would be nice to examine regional variation in wide-ranging genera, such as Triceratops. If there are multiple species in this genus, they *theoretically* would not be sympatric. An analogy would be lions and tigers--very similar skeletally, but living in very different habitats.

Andy