From: NJPharris@aol.com
To: dinosaur@usc.edu
Subject: Re: replying to pomposity
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2000 20:52:01 EDT

In a message dated 6/20/00 9:13:09 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
kinman@hotmail.com writes:

>      As for Archosauriformes, it has in my opinion improperly been given
the
>  suffix usually reserved for chordate orders.

Ah, but there is a subtle difference here.  Bird and fish ordinal names are
formed by adding "-iformes" to a *genus* name [Salmoniformes = "things that
are shaped like _Salmo_"; Falconiformes = "things that are shaped like
_Falco_"].

Archosauriformes, Maniraptoriformes, etc., are formed from names of
higher-level taxa.

Thus, if it is consistency you are striving for, you want Tyrannosauriformes
or Apatosauriformes or some such, rather than "Saurischiformes", and rather
than "Artiodactyliformes" you would want Boviformes or Traguliformes or
Antilocapriformes, or a name based on whatever artiodactyl genus you consider
most typical.

Nick P.