Appeals to authority

Ken Kinman wrote:

> The Thecodontia has no doubt been recognized longer than you have been
> alive, by some very brilliant biologists.

I don't have the background to make a useful contribution to the rights and
wrongs of the Thecodontia, but if this is meant as an argument in favour of
acceptance then it is suprising - surely evolutionary biologists, of all
people,
should not be using an appeal to authority to defend a position?

Of course, if Ken just meant "accepting the Thecodontia isn't a sign of
stupidity" then it's a perfectly fair point :-)

Alan