Re: bauplan convergence (EXTREMELY SARCASTIC!)

In a message dated 6/20/00 12:18:49 PM EST, Chapman.Ralph@NMNH.SI.EDU writes:

<< If George or Garth wish to remain in just-so land, as George has
 demonstrated almost daily for a long time on the list, they have the right
 to. Just don't malign the great work that is being done by loads of
 paleontologists  all the time. >>

I don't think I've maligned anybody's work, Ralph. You've been working with
pachycephalosaurs for many years now. Wouldn't you give your right arm to
actually >see< a bunch of pachys in the field and have their actual behavior
confirm/deny the conclusions you have reached? I work with four-dimensional
objects, of which I maintain a pretty decent mental image in my mind when I
think about them and discover new ones. But I would >really< like to see one
in the flesh--something that is, unfortunately, at least as unlikely as
traveling to the past (and these are objects whose existence can be >proved<
100%). I agree that a scientific approach to dinosaurs is the only valid way
to study their behavior, but my point is that until we can confirm these
studies empirically, we're only constructing Just So Stories. Elaborate ones,
but stories just the same, stories that can and are rewritten with the advent
of new data and new approaches.