Re: bauplan convergence (EXTREMELY SARCASTIC!)

To translate from Matt's post, Paleontology is indeed an experimental
science regardless of what some might suggest. There are just many types of
experiments and it takes some imagination to do them correctly - even with
living beasts that you can look at. To suggest that doing science on living
beasts is so much different than doing it on extinct ones mostly just
demonstrates some or lots of ignorance about doing evolutionary work in
general. After all, most zoologists really don't get to do much or any
direct work on their beasts where they live either. Just ask anyone who
works on any animal that lives in deep water, or in the tall canopies. Some
observation is possible but not that much real chewy science. They do manage
to do some great science, however, as do many paleontologists.

If George or Garth wish to remain in just-so land, as George has
demonstrated almost daily for a long time on the list, they have the right
to. Just don't malign the great work that is being done by loads of
paleontologists  all the time. I honestly cannot understand why anyone with
those thoughts has any interest in paleontology at all. It's like going to a
great restaurant and only enjoying the background music.

Ralph Chapman

>>> "Matthew Bonnan" <mbonnan@hotmail.com> 06/20/00 12:02PM >>>

Yeah, let's all give up and go to the beach.  Hey, Mickey, just can this
DinoList thing.  What a tremendous waste of time.  Since none of us were
alive to see any of this stuff, there's absolutely no way to test anything

that happened in the past.  What are we all thinking?  In fact, get rid of

SVP.  Just of a bunch of folks throwing out untestable nonsense.  Let's
give
up the ghost on this one already.

Well, back to my waste-of-time graduate work.  Sheesh, I shoulda done
something more pragmatic! =P

Matt Bonnan