RE: Polar Dinosaurs

A temporary glitch caused this message to be rerouted; I reroute it
back for your reading pleasure.  --MPR

From: Art <sxaeg@alaska.edu>
To: dinosaur@usc.edu
Subject: RE: Polar Dinosaurs

Here in Alaska the North Slope is yielding quite an array of
Cretaceous critters.  The Liscomb Bed on the Colville River from which
these are coming out also has a vast amount of vegetative fossils
indicating it was a temperate forest along the lines of
Oregon/Washington.  So there would have been snow and below-freezing
temps.
  Given the position of Alaska at the time it would have been an
extremely long migration to more moderate climes.  There are juvenile
fossils, as well, which suggest if not incubation and nesting in the
area at least the definite presence of young.  That, too, calls into
question the possibility of migration.
  The feeling is these animals may have been permanent residents of the
area which then only adds to the mystery of how would they survive
winter?
  If you are interested in more information, in-depth information on
these northern polar dinos, Dr. Roland Gangloff (ffrag@uaf.edu), curator
of the Earth Sciences section of the University of Alaska, Fairbanks,
Museum, would be the one to contact as he has been overseeing the digs
at the bone beds for some years now.
  (I hope to be participating next year!  These deposits are incredibly
rich, immense, and hold the promise of being extremely important.)
  ..Art Greenwalt, University of Alaska, Fairbanks