Re: Climbing Archaeopteryx (was Re: bauplan convergence)

I wrote:

>Do adult Hoatzin, with their atrophied claws,
>climb at all? I think I recall having seen something
>about the adults climbing a bit, but I wouldn't
>swear to it. As poorly as they fly it would seem
>to be helpful for them to get higher in the trees
>prior to takeoff.

Hmmm. I just went and looked it up.

It seems that adult Hoatzin completely lose their claws, so if they do
climb it would have nothing to do with wing-claws, atrophied or not.

I think I'll just be quiet now :)

Thor C. Gran III

"Doubtless the reason many of the dinosaurs died is that their bodies
were too big for their brains. With smaller bodies and bigger brains
they might have lived on."

  Golden Treasury of Natural History - 1952