Re: The "Swipe" of Cats [was Re: bauplan convergence]

In a message dated 6/19/2000 2:14:03 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
dannj@alphalink.com.au writes:

> Most primates tend to get around by brachiating.

A slight correction.  Gibbons are, I think, the only primates that habitually
brachiate (i.e. move quickly through the trees, swinging from their arms).
Indris and sifakas leap; most lemurs and monkeys run around the branches on
all fours; orangutans and some monkeys clamber; and adult chimpanzees,
gorillas, and humans spend most of their time on the ground.

Oh, and theropods don't seem particularly suited to indri-style leaping,
running around on all fours, brachiating, or clambering, as far as I can
tell.  If they were in the trees, they were doing something else.

Nick P.