Re: clarification

At 07:35 AM 6/22/00 -0700, Ken Kinman wrote:

Stanley,
I pretty much agree with all your statements on the paraphyly of Thecodontia. But I am indeed a taxonomist of Mayrian stripe, and taking Peter Ashlock's systematics course at the University of Kansas back in the 1970's had an immense impact on how I practice systematics.

Gads, I wonder if we have met. I took Dr. Ashlock's course in about 1977 or 1978 (I graduated from KU in 1979).

Your last statement below makes the assumption that one is recognizing the traditional Thecodontia (sensu stricto).
However, in an effort to make Thecodontiformes ("Thecodontia" sensu lato) as useful as possible, I include prolacertiforms and rhynchosaurs (and still haven't decided about choristoderes).

I am not sure such a large and variegated group is really that useful.

If I had a good set of character data superimposed upon a cladogram, I could try to estimate optimal breakpoints for paraphyletic taxa.