Re: John Ruben and The Phantom Menace.

On Fri, 23 Jun 2000 09:57:07
 Luis Rey wrote:

>I have seen the best photographs of the fossil (shown by Ruben at the
>SVP).... in the Science article they do it again (the Scipionyx and
>Sinosauropteryx lessons didn't teach them anything) . They are making
>throroughly detailed scientific descriptions of phantom traces of
>structures that could be anything. The descriptions they are doing of
>supposed 'feathers in the developing stages of Longisquama' are not of
>the fossil traces themselves, but  about ideas  that in turn are about
>ideas of supposed organic structures based on creatures living today.
>So on the basis of such dubious interpretation and using an incomplete
>specimen (the whole back of Longuisquama including the legs and tail
>continues to be unknown), they have chosen to ignore and wipe out all
>the hard work, anatomical comparisons and hard data compiled by so many
>researchers that is showing with tons of hard evidence that dinosaurs
>and birds are inextricably linked.
>Not only that, their interpretations can be interpreted in a totally
>different way: Let's suppose those structures on the back of
>Longiusquama are feathers (that they are NOT... a hollow ridge is
>enclosing the whole structure  and  the supposed branching ...everything
>is more like an insect's wing).

Yeah, it's sort of funny that Feduccia, Martin, Ruben et al. were crying foul
when Sinosauropteryx and Caudipteryx were announced, saying that the fossilized
imprints were not feathers or anything close to feathers.  Now they have a
questionable specimen of their own, with imprints that MAY be less like
feathers than those on the feathered dinosaurs they denied, and they are
claiming to the world that there is no doubt the imprints are true feathers.

The shoe's on the other foot now.

Steve

---
Steve Brusatte-DINO LAND PALEONTOLOGY
SITE: http://www.geocities.com/stegob

Send FREE Greetings for Father's Day--or any day!
Click here: http://www.whowhere.lycos.com/redirects/fathers_day.rdct