Re: Say this slowly: theropoda is paraphylitic, theropoda is paraphlyitic.....

In a message dated 6/24/00 12:44:16 PM, am_shaad@hotmail.com writes:

<< >It's interesting to note that none of the proponents of the dino/bird
nexus
>have even *thought* of the idea that theropoda might be paraphyletic.

You may mean 'polyphyletic' -  but this message of yours does not make much
sense to  me.

>I mean
>bipedalism is known from some non-dinosaurian thecodonts and Triassic
>crocs.
>Bipedalism has evolved a minimum of FIVE times among mammals.

humans,  kangaroos,  -whjat are the other 3 ????

Kangaroo RATS, Springhaars, some south American Marsupials whose name escapes
me and leptocids, which went extinct during the Oligicene and resembled a
cross between a rat and a t-rex.

>The feathered "dinosaurs" found in China are exiting and valuable finds to
>be
>sure, but has it occurred to anyone here that maniraptors may not be
>dinosaurs at all?

It has probbably not occurred to anyone  becuase it is such  a ridiculous
idea .   Please explain.

Okay, lets assume for the moment that Logismama(sic) is a protobird unrelated
to dinosaurs beyond the early archisauromorphs. Then it or it's very close
reletive evolved into birds and those parabirds with the feathers that were
found in China.

You then have the Jurrassic/Cretaceous exinction event, whatever it was. As
most of the birds living at the time had clawed wings and lots of teeth,
there would be several ecological nitches to fill. Secondary flightlessness
similier to modern ratites, but with teeth and claws. What do you have? A
critter that looks superficially like a theropod. It has been shown
conclusivley that many so-called theropods like maniraptors and orthomimids
are extremely birdlike.

Hence it is possible that you have two distantly related groups of organisms
that look somewhat alike.