Re: Ancestors and descendants

In a message dated 6/24/00 2:01:06 AM EST, NJPharris@aol.com writes:

<< But since we are looking for a consistent classification scheme here, we
have
 to make it applicable to my descendants as well as to me.  While I could
 logically be classified with my ancestors or with my descendants, there is
 only one place where my descendants can logically go: in a group with me. >>

No, they could also make up a new group of their own. Considering how little
they are related to you, putting them into a group with you is a considerable
stretch. Cladists do not allow this possibility, since they demand that all
taxa be monophyletic, no matter how long the lineage might be or how
different the descendants might be from their ancestors; but >logic< has
little to do with this position. It is a matter of personal preference, not
logic.