Re: "Feathery fossil shows birds aren't dinosaurs"

Dinogeorge wrote...
>That's >exactly< what I'm saying! You've got it. The dinobird lineage is
not
>hypothetical; it's small, feathered theropods that lived in trees, not big
>cursorial predators that lived on the ground. There's nothing more to it
than
>that; so why does everybody seem to find this notion so peculiar or
>unworkable?

     Okay, another question.  If we don't see flying archosaurs down in the
basal Archosauriformes or Pseudosuchia, or even the features like the
retroverted hallux that you claim must be evidence of an arboreal ancestor,
why does the arboreal life-style have to go so far back?  Why don't you just
put it after the split with Pseudosuchia?
    Also, it wouldn't hurt to review the theropoda in general and identifiy
the particular groups with particular features that you see as evidence of
an immediate arboreal theropod ancestor.  In the past as I recall, you have
cited:
1) Early dinosauromorphs and theropods, on the basis of bipedality, with the
rationale that developing bipedality doesn't make any sense except for an
arboreal lifestyle.
2) Early ceratosaurs, on the basis of the reversed hallux, with the
rationale that developing a reversed hallux doesn't make any sense except
for an arboreal lifestyle.
3) (the big one) The coelurosaurs, on the basis of all the wing-like
features of the forelimb.
      I recall you citing these three specific landmarks as evidence of your
continuous, dino-bird lineage.  Are there other features in other theropod
groups that you see as evidence of arboreal ancestry, or is it just these?
For example, are there any features that you see in, say Allosauroidea that
indicate this that could not have been inherited ultimately from secondarily
ground dwelling early dinosauromorphs and early ceratosaurs (if ceratosauria
is paraphyletic)?  If these are the only three landmarks, why do you need a
continuous dino-bird lineage going all the way back to the early archosaurs
constantly throwing off cursorial groups?  Why not just stick the ancestral
dinosauromorph, the ancestral ceratosaur, and th ancestral coelurosaur in a
tree and be done with it?

LN Jeff

You have to study a great deal to know a little.
-Baron de Montesquieu

They may forget what you said, but they will never forget the way you made
them feel.
-Carl W. Buehner
Jeffrey W. Martz
3002 4th St. #C26