Re: Folding Feathers Out of the Way

At 06:36 AM 6/24/00 +1000, Dann Pigdon wrote:
And yet when eagles or vultures seriously fight amongst themselves, it
is usually done feet first. I have seen eagles, vultures and condors all
flip onto their back while scrapping on the ground, presenting their
talons in the air to ward off attack. It doesn't seem to be a submissive
posture either, rather a defensive one. When raptors fight in mid air
they also often lock talons, rather than buffeting each others wings.
All of these behaviours may be a way of protecting important flight
feathers,

Rather, I would say it was a way of bringing their most potent weapons into the battle! Their talons are sharp and powerful - and deadly; the wings would at most be slightly annoying.

Of course you also have birds like the spur-winged plover that go and
throw a spanner in the works by using their wings agressively.
Spur-winged eh.  Gee, that seems to fit my hypothesis above.