amidst the chaos, a question pops up.....

Gang,

   This is the third time for this question. The reason that it hasn't been
answered is because of the whole Triassic bird-lizard thing (for short, I'll
just call him "Squimy".) But, this e-mail isn't about that. It is about
Ceratosaur ankle anatomy.
   here it is (again):

I was reading in my copy of _Encyclopedia of Dinosaurs_ on Ceratosauria, and
was reading about the classification problems when I developed a question. It
says that (in adult specimens?) a falange from the fibula wrapped
mediolaterally (correct me if I'm wrong, I don't have the book with me and
therefore have to write this from memory) around the anterior side of the
astralagus. I was curious, what purpose/function would this serve? What
evolutionary advantage would this create?

   Please answer as convenient (or I'll have to become persistant and
demanding ;) )

                                            Paleo wannabe,
                                            Caleb Lewis