SYNAPSID SKIN

Nick Pharris wrote..

> The only non-mammalian synapsid skin impressions I am aware of
> were, I think, from a dinocephalian and showed a glandular skin
> without hair or scales.

There is a Carroll paper from way back that figures skin impressions
from a basal pelycosaur-grade synapsid - and it shows scales. Can't
remember the genus or the reference but it's been covered on DML
before.

On another note, does anyone know if the issue of _Dinonews_ with
my second _Baryonyx_ article is out yet? And another aside - the
'winged creatures' referred to by Luis in his 'phantom menace' post are
those bipedal duckbilled creatures ridden by the gungans. I don't know
their name, but they are apparently flightless birds, hence the pair of
giant feathers they have growing from their backs. Hey, I think
_Longisquama_ is the phantom menace:)

"In their books monsters appear for the first time since Shakespeare's
death" - - Costello, 1974

DARREN NAISH
PALAEOBIOLOGY RESEARCH GROUP
UNIVERSITY OF PORTSMOUTH