Semi-off-topic: Cheetah speed

It has been pointed out that it is problematic to attempt to gauge the speed of
extinct animals, and very difficult to precisely determine the top speed of
living animals in the wild.  For cheetahs, at least, we may have an answer...

The Cheetah Conservation Fund held its second annual northern California "Run
For Survival" event on June 10, 2000, at the Foothill College Stadium in Los
Altos Hills, California, which was attended by over 700 people.  Cheetahs
trained to pursue tethered tennis balls were running at high speeds down the
middle of the grass field, and Zulu, a two year old female, was clocked at 61
miles per hour by a campus police officer using a laser gun.  Shaka, a two year
old male, was reportedly too fast to track!  (As I understand it, the operator
must train the laser on the nose of the cheetah as it runs).  To read about it
at the Cheetah Conservation Fund web site, <www.cheetah.org>, look under
"Here's the latest news from the CCF," find "The Run for Survival 2000 was a
great success!  Read all about it -- _click here_!" and click there.

-- Ralph W. Miller III       gbabcock@best.com

Eric Estrada, eat your heart out.