Re: "Feathery fossil shows birds aren't dinosaurs"

Vultures aren't exactly the most aerodynamic of birds to begin with. I'm
guessing a humming bird or a wandering albatross wouldn't be quite so
care free.

This is probably true...we have both hummingbirds and vultures around our house, and I have never seen hummingbirds fight like the vultures on TV did. Although, vultures are much better gliders than hummingbirds. Strong flyers, no. Great gliders, yes. So, they do need to retain a good degree of aerodynamic intergity.

Plus, vultures are scavengers that have to fight to get
access to a carcass. What's the slight risk of irepairable feather
damage to the certainty of starvation? Also, did they have their wings
folded tightly against their bodies while they were prancing and
cavorting? In which case, perhaps the most important flight feathers
were protected well enough to risk a bit of rough housing.

From what I remember it (It was nearly a week ago now), they had their wings
slightly extended. My guess for this would be that they were trying to cover as much distance with their body as possible, but still keep their flight feathers safe.

Please take this post with a grain of salt (or excess sulphur?). Just
playing Devil's advocate.