Re: Say this slowly: theropoda is paraphylitic, theropoda is paraphlyitic.....

In a message dated 6/26/00 8:37:58 AM, tholtz@geol.umd.edu writes:

<< Incidentally, many workers (old-timers like Ostrom, for example) consider
Theropoda to be paraphyletic, in so far as they retain the traditional
grouping and do not include birds within Theropoda.  However, these same
individuals recognize that birds are dinosaur descendants.

As for your idea that Theropoda is polyphyletic: it is to laugh, not to put
too fine a point on it.  Polyphyly of Primates or of Cetacea seems more
likely than a polyphyletic Theropoda: the theropods were very much
variations on the same detailed anatomical design. >>

Let's see, I get told that the term  paraphyletic is actually the term
polyphyletic.
right then you tell me that it isn't. Hmmmmm......

this is getting old. When further reserch confirms my beliefs, then we'll
talk...

eric l.