Re: mammal definition (was "Fossil Discovery Threatens")

On Mon, 26 Jun 2000 ELurio@aol.com wrote:

> The problem is actually easy. Use different names when redefining
> things. If you're going to have to choose between saurapsida and
> reptillia, choose saurapsida, it's less confusing.

But Sauropsida and Reptilia are different clades.

Sauropsida = (Reptilia > Mammalia)
Reptilia = (Lepidosauria + Archosauria + Chelonia)

True, there isn't much difference. The only non-reptilian Sauropsida I
know of are the Mesosauridae.

T. Michael Keesey <tmk@dinosauricon.com> | AIM <Ric Blayze> | ICQ <77314901>
                 My Worlds <http://dinosauricon.com/keesey>
                 The Dinosauricon <http://dinosauricon.com>