Re: Fossil Discovery Threatens Theory of Birds' Evolution

At 05:08 PM 26/06/2000 -0400, ELurio@aol.com wrote:
Closely related? The graptolites went extinct during the Devonian.
Cephalodiscus graptolitoides is Quarternary. The time difference is immense.

So what? Time has nothing to do with degree of relationship, and certainly lothing to do with extent of evolutionary divergence. There are animals living today belonging to the same GENUS as Devonian animals (eg the brachiopod Lingula); even among vertebrates, the Australian lungfish is very closely related to the Devonian genus Ceratodus. Anyway, if Dilly is right and graptolites are pterobranchs then they did NOT go extinct in the Devonian, merely dropped out of the fossil record.

Even if either you or I am right in this debate, the fact still remains that
Logismama(sic) and any dinosaur are a thousand times more closely related
than graptolites and Cephalodiscus graptolitoides.

Not according to Dilly, who is an authority on such matters. He considers them very closely related indeed, and unless you have some facts to justify your statement you will forgive me if I take the opinion of a scientist working directly with these organisms in the field and laboratory in preference to yours.
--
Ronald I. Orenstein Phone: (905) 820-7886
1825 Shady Creek Court