Re: mammal definition (was "Fossil Discovery Threatens")

In a message dated 6/26/2000 1:57:34 PM Pacific Daylight Time, ELurio writes:

> The problem is actually easy. Use different names when redefining things.
If
> you're going to have to choose between saurapsida and reptillia, choose
> saurapsida, it's less confusing.

I have to agree with you there.  I would have much prefered to see Reptilia
dumped altogether as a formal taxonomic name.  However, as matters currently
stand, Reptilia and Sauropsida are two different groups.  Mesosaurs and
potentially all of the non-turtle "anapsids" and even many basal diapsids (if
turtles really are diapsids) are sauropsids but not reptiles.

Nick P.