Baby dinosaurs east of the Mississippi -- YES!

At times like this, I'm only too happy to be wrong!  Some time back, Ray
Stanford had asked if any dinosaur eggs or babies had been found east of the
Mississippi.  Based on the global maps on pp. 10-11 of Kenneth Carpenter's book,
_Eggs, Nests, and Baby Dinosaurs: A Look at Dinosaur Reproduction_, I stated
that there was only one such occurrence, the Campanian dinosaur (?) egg from
Harrell Station, Alabama.  WRONG!

On p. 18 of the same volume, Carpenter states:

"Baby sauropod bones have been found in Maryland not far from the nation's
capital and were first described by Othniel Charles Marsh in 1888."

I'm not sure about this, but it may be described in the following paper (listed
in the bibliography):

"Marsh, O. C. 1888. Notice of a new genus of Sauropoda and other new dinosaurs
from the Potomac Formation.  _American Journal of Science_, v. 35, pp. 89-94."

Jeez, Ray!  That's your territory, isn't it?  I wonder if your baby sauropod
track is from the same strata.

-- Ralph W. Miller III      gbabcock@best.com

C'mon, admit it -- baby sauropods must have been cute!