Re: "Feathery fossil shows birds aren't dinosaurs"

>I see vultures as the pick-up trucks (in Oz: utes) of the avian world.
Reliable but not exactly a sports model. Falcons, on the other hand, are the
high performance sports cars, where the race can be won or lost by a
fraction of a second and every advantage counts. <

I understand your point, but it's important to remember that vultures,
falcons and humingbirds are all competing very well today within their own
respective niches.  It's foolish to say that one species is somehow better
than another because it engages in such behaviors as "high speed chases to
catch prey" or "crosses hundreds of kilometres of open polar seas" or
"hovers in mid air while delicately sipping at nectar".  Based on those
criteria, Tom Cruise may be the only human to have a chance at ranking in
the top 50%. And anyway, I'd take a pick-up over a sports cars any day.

PTN