RE: Thoughts about the arboreal dinosaur

> From: owner-dinosaur@usc.edu [mailto:owner-dinosaur@usc.edu]On Behalf Of
> Dann Pigdon
>
> I have also suggested this for the enlongated digit of Sinosauropteryx
> (as long as the ulna). Personally, I'd think that serrated teeth
> wouldn't have been all that useful in grooming fuzz or feathers, hence
> fuzzy theropods may have had alternative grooming devices (elongated
> fingers, maybe ever the ancestor of the pedal "sickle claw"). I'd
> imagine serrated teeth designed for slicing flesh would end up clogged
> with bits of fuzz, doing more harm than good. I can't think of any
> living animals that have fuzzy integumentary structures AND serrated
> teeth. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Well, although they are no longer with us, sabrecats had serrations on their
canines and (presumabely) a furry integument.  Still, as cats they almost
certainly did most of their grooming with their tongues.

Even so, I do not see serrated teeth as hinderance to grooming.

                Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
                Vertebrate Paleontologist
                College Park, MD  20742
http://www.geol.umd.edu/~jmerck/eltsite