RE: Suchomimus Photos Posted Online

Actually, both myself and Greg Erickson (among others) have addressed
various aspects to this idea.  Yes, the teeth of _T. rex_ are about probably
the least steak knife-like objects ever to be compared to steak knives.
However, their extremely broad cross-section is potentially much more
resistant to torsional forces or compressional forces than a typical
theropod tooth of the same fore-aft length.

Possible (and not mutually exclusive) advantages of this tooth type are
crushing; better resistence to potential accidental contact with bone (as in
cat canines, for example); and a mode of obtaining and manipulating prey by
grasping and tearing rather than vertical slicing.

Hope this helps.

                Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
                Vertebrate Paleontologist
                College Park, MD  20742
http://www.geol.umd.edu/~jmerck/eltsite
Fax (Geol):  301-314-9661       Fax (CPS-ELT): 301-314-7843>