From: Larry Dunn <majestic_cheese@yahoo.com>
To: dinosaur@usc.edu
Subject: Doesn't George have a point?
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2000 14:56:37 -0700 (PDT)

Not that I believe that dinosaurs evolved from birds
per se (?A planet where apes evolved from men?!?!??),
but doesn?t George have a point when he says that the
lack of a suitable known dinosaur ancestor of birds in
the appropriate time period raises some really serious
doubts as to the dinosaur ancestry of dinosaurs?

I guess this is actually a question about the
scientific method as it relates to paleontology.
Doesn?t the formation of this hypothesis require that
the temporal bit fall into place as well?  As I
understand the facts, there currently isn?t any
specimen of a suitable coelurosaur predating the
earliest fossil birds.  Doesn?t that have any bearing
on the formation of a hypothesis?  (Or is this wrong?)
  Can scientists say, ?other things look very good for
our hypothesis, but we?ll need to keep looking for an
appropriately early ancestor,? and still have a valid
hypothesis?

And what is the status of the idea until the suitable
piece of information comes along?

This is not a rhetorical question, or a statement of a
position.  It is a quest ... for the truth (dramatic
music).

===== Larry

"I've been ionized, but I'm OK now."