Re: Swimming Dinosaurs

At 04:27 PM 6/29/00 -0700, Leonidus A.K. Giganotosaurus wrote:
Do any known dinosaurs show any ability for swimming? Not as a single
mode of locomotion, but rather, as a backup, or half-mode, like
crocodiles and hippos, which swim half the time, but are otherwise
land-based, or elephants, horses, etc, which can swim, when given the
opportunity, but are dominantly land-based.

Well, few tetrapods are *incapable* of swimming, so I suppose you mean do any dinosaurs show more than typical adaptation for swimming.

I've read two possible swimmers, hadrosaurs in general,

Actually, a closer analysis shows that hadrosaurs were quite a varied lot. _Edmontosaurus_ is regularly and frequently associated with swamp deposits, and shows a deeper tail than many other hadrosaurs. This combination tends to support its being somewhat more "aquatic" than other dinosaurs. On the other hand most crested hadrosaurs are rarely found in association with swamps, and have relatively "light" tails, so are probably less water-oriented.

And while sauropods as purely aquatics has been discounted, could they
swim?

Possibly, on the general basis that most animals *can* do so.

 I remember one picture in a book of mine when I was younger, a
pack of small allosaurids chasing an apatosaurus, and catching it, in
the water, where it thinks they might not be able to follow, but turn
out to be completely able to. Would this scene be possible?

No, because the allosaur could probably swim better than the sauropods!

Could theropods swim?

Almost certainly.

While I know smaller feathered creatures, such as
dromies, oviraptorids, etc might not be able to because of the feathers,

This would only mitigate against spending *extended* periods in the water (due to waterlogging). It is unlikely to prevent swimming altogether.