SWIMMING GIRAFFES

On swimming abilities in amniotes, Finback wrote...

>  In the same vein, I'd heard it was *giraffes* with the problem..

I can tell you that giraffes certainly can swim: the excellent _Big Cat
Diary_ (BBC television) was on location when one of the rivers in the
Mara was in flood. The crew were able to record what then happened
when a group of giraffes tried to cross this river: the giraffes made it
halfway then decided to turn back.

DARREN NAISH
PALAEOBIOLOGY RESEARCH GROUP
UNIVERSITY OF PORTSMOUTH