Bambiraptor feinbergi vs. feinbergorum (DGList corrections #134)

To: dinosaur@usc.edu
From: Ben Creisler bh480@scn.org
Subject: Bambiraptor feinbergi vs. feinbergorum (DGList
corrections #134)
The new 4th edition of the ICZN Code is not explicit about
what to do when the original published form of a species
name in the Latin genitive is singular when it should be
plural, but my reading of the revised provisions is that a
correction is NOT required. The 1985 3rd edition
explicitly stated in Art. 32 (c) 'Incorrect original
spelling' that genitive singulars should be made plural if
the original publication states that the name is dedicated
to more than one member of a family, using the example of
douglasi changed to douglasorum for a name dedicated to
Marion and Athol Douglas. The 4th edition states in Art.
31.1.2 that the Latin genitive forms should correspond to
the gender and number of the persons honored, using the
appropriate Latin endings (-i or -ae; -orum or -arum).
However, in Art. 32.5 'Spellings that must be corrected, "
the cases in which the correction from singular to plural
MUST be made to an original spelling are omitted from the
examples. The only mandatory corrections for species names
now are ones that match gender of adjectives in new
combinations (Art. 34.2), or combine compound elements
into a single name or omit diacritical marks. Bambiraptor
feinbergi will have to stand it seems.
By the way, does someone know the price to order this
paper? I checked the Contributions to Paleontology website
(http://www.ukans.edu/~paleo/recent.html ) but it does not
list the publication as yet, and I don't see an email
contact to ask.