Re: Quetzalcoatlus

In a message dated 5/1/00 8:31:18 AM EST, cbrochu@fmnh.org writes:

<< Kellner, A.W.A., and W. Langston.  1996.  Cranial remains of Quetzalcoatlus
 (Pterosauria, Azhdarchidae) from late Cretaceous sediments of Big Bend
National
 Park, Texas.  Journal of Vertebrate Paleontology, 1996, 16(2): 222-231 >>

Slight problem with this paper is that it describes Quetzalcoatlus sp., not
the type species Q. northropi named by Lawson in 1975, so it doesn't formally
describe the genus. This is the kind of publication I had in mind when I
mentioned that the name  Quetzalcoatlus has been widely adopted even though
not formally described. I believe there is still only one known specimen of
Q. northropi (from an individual about twice the size of the ones noted by
Kellner & Langston), which would have to be the type specimen. Maybe
Wellnhofer's description in the 1978 Pterosauria part (#19) of the Handbuch
der Palaeoherpetologie qualifies; at least he describes the holotype as a
holotype of the species Q. northropi, which, being the only named species of
the genus at the time, makes it the type species by monotypy.