Re: Quetzalcoatlus

In a message dated 5/1/00 4:29:04 PM EST, tmk@dinosauricon.com writes:

<< Was it a description of Q. sp. or of Q. northropi? I know some older
 genera (e.g. _Pterodactylus_) were validly described without any type
 species, but this hasn't been permissible for a while has it? >>

It has been a long time since I read those followup letters in Science, but
the feeling I got from the pterosaur community then was that these didn't
constitute enough of a description to validate Q. northropi. I'd have to
reread them in light of my experience over the succeeding 25 years to see
whether they're indeed sufficient.