Re: Introduction

It's a lot harder for a pterosaur to hang by it's feet than a bat, they
don't have the handydandy grip-locking mechanism that bats have built-in
for hanging.  Bats only have to RELAX their grip to lock down on a
branch they are hanging from; pterosaurs have to expend energy to keep
the toes and claws in tension around the branch (this means no gpoing to
sleep while hanging).

If you're going to the trouble of hanging a pterosaur like a bat why not
adapt the fruitbat-style wingwrap -perhaps a fold on the outside of the
knees?

I think there's an older illustration of this mode in Wellenhofer's
pterosaur book.

-Betty Cunningham

--
Flying Goat Graphics