[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index][Subject Index][Author Index]

Re: WWD - layman's view

Leonidus A.K. Giganotosaurus wrote:

> What _is_ the scientific word for the fish-group? Like, Avian is to > birds, Mammalian to mammals, Reptilian, Saurian, and even Amphibian in > itself. So..?

I might take this opportunity, Mr Gigantosaurus, to say that I am very impressed that you can type with such tiny arms!!! :-)

There once was a time when all the "fishy" groups were grouped as "Pisces":

"Agnatha" (lampreys, hagfishes, assorted extinct types - probably
paraphyletic, possibly polyphyletic)
- includes Sarcopterygii (lobe-finned fishes, now including "four-legged"
vertebrates (tetrapods)) and Actinopterygii (ray-finned fishes)
Acanthodii (extinct)
Chondrichthyes  (sharks, rays, sawfish, chimeras)
Placodermi (armored jawed fishes)

These "classes" are as different from each other (in some cases, much more so) as the tetrapod "classes" are (Amphibia, Reptilia, Aves, Mammalia). So there really is no scientific term for the fishes.

Tim ________________________________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com