Re: Were the dinosaurs fried by ultraviolet light?

Richard W. Travsky said:

"On Fri, 5 May 2000 KiernanCR@aol.com wrote:
...This deluge of ionising
> radiation would have put additional stresses on the biosphere already
> stretched to the extreme by the impact."

    Maybe I'm missing something, but I've never heard of UV being described
as "ionizing radiation".  I though that description was reserved for certain
higher energy radiation (e.g., gamma radiation).

    Am I the one confused?  (My only course on radiation hazards was back in
1956, so I may be a bit 'rusty'.)

    Ray Stanford