Re: Tasmanian tiger to be cloned

At 04:34 pm 5/05/00 -0600, Richard W Travsky wrote:
>> Before getting too excited, we should not forget that it is very likely
that
>> _Thylacinus cynocephalus_ became extinct as a result of human predation and
>> loss of habitat from human development and introduction of grazing animals.
>> Without a habitat to support a breeding population of these animals, I
don't
>> see any valid ethical basis for resurrecting them.  The *aha!*
experience we
>> may get from it is certainly not reason enough.
        But there are still many regions of Tasmania tha are densely forested,
and
many of these are parks on the west coast. NB: Yes, I am Taswegian ;D

>There are claims, so far apparently unsupported, that the TD is still
>alive. It's popped up in the news now and then, and has even been a TLC
>show.
        Well, in 1986, there had been 365 sightings in Tasmania. So that works
out
to about 7 sightings a year, or thereabouts.. not bad for an "extinct" animal.

|    Marcus Good aka "Finback"             | "That is not dead       |
|      goodmr@ses.curtin.edu.au            | Which can eternal lie,  |
| http://student.curtin.edu.au/~egood      | And with strange aeons  |
| "Tuesday." - Vince, "Rex The Runt"       |       -- HP  Lovecraft, |
|                                          |      "Call of Cthulhu". |