Re: Disney's Dinosaur - second try!

WHoops...

Hit the send button by accident.

So... as I was saying...

In an interview that is part of an article in D.I.G.'s coverage of the Disney
Dinosaur movie, Pam Marsden, the producer, makes it quite clear that Dinosaur
is not intended to be a science film.

http://www.dinosaur.org/disneydinoscience.htm

The reasons for this are actually pretty reasonable.

We're about to publish an interview with Mark Hallett who did some
EXTRAORDINARY design work for the film, and he too understands what is
necessary for "story-telling" as against documentary.

One might wish that the WWD had the budget of Dinosaur, but on the other hand,
the Disney film will clearly interest zillions of kids in the topic and sort of
lead them on toward better science.

Speaking only for myself, of course, had it not been for my seeing Fantasia
when I was five years old, I might never have gotten my lifelong interest in
classical music in general and Stravinsky (amongst others) in particular which
led, ultimately, to my meeting him before he died.  It's clear to me that the
Rite of Spring is cut down and re-orchestrated in Fantasia, but that got me to
buy the full-length version and listen to it over and over and over again
learning about the differences.

Philosophically, from an educational point of view, we (D.I.G. that is) see
fiction and mistakes as an opportunity... an opportuity  to point out the real
thing by carefully comparing the (often entertaining and enthralling) fictional
versions to the paleontological research. Gertie the Dinosaur doesn't look like
any real animal I've ever seen, but without Gertie, there would have been no
Disney Dinosaur or Jurassic Park of Walking with Dinosaurs.

The Disney Dinosaur Website has a rather cool "flash" feature that compares the
sizes of each animal and dinosaur in the movie to each other and a human being.
One of the nicest of those size comparison thingies I've ever seen.

So what if they talk.

E.S.

--
AOL IM Pager - DinoEditor

Central
Recommended by The National Education Association,Encyclopedia Britannica
Internet Guide, Yahoo and Yahooligans Choice, Netscape Site of the Day. Member
of The Paleo Ring

A prequel to Teefr by Edward Summer

Laser Publishing Group, Planetarium Station, Box 502-DIG, NY, NY 10024-0502