Subject: new book
Author:  Farlow at ZZSC1POST
Date:    5/8/00 12:57 PM

     I'm happy to announce publication of J. Alan Holman, 2000, _Fossil
     Snakes of North America: Origin, Evolution, Distribution,
     Paleoecology_, Indiana University Press, ISBN 0-253-33721-6, 357 pp.,
     the latest entry in my "Life of the Past" series.  This is more a
     reference work than light bedtime reading.  Al describes the
     characteristic features of known genera and species, and reproduces
     dozens of drawings of fossil specimens.  In addition, there are
     beautiful color photos of living representatives of the various
     groups.  Information is presented both systematically, and by
     locality.  Al ends by discussing snake faunas over time.