Try to make sure your virus checkers are current

As Mary recently mentioned, we do not condone generic warnings about
e-mail viruses, worms etc.  However, as I did last month, I will make
an exception when some such vile creature worms its way onto the
list.  For those of you that have not yet heard, it was the "kak" worm
which was distributed via the dinosaur list on April 19th.  At that
time, nobody's mailers complained about it.  It was sent out again via
the list this past Saturday (May 6th).  This time I was heartened to
see that several of your mailers recognized the worm and dealt with it
accordingly.  Since at least one of you still has it, though, I must
presume that others have not yet taken the steps necessary to
eradicate it.

To the best of my knowledge, the worm requires you to be using
Windows98 and Outlook Express in order for it to do anything to your
computer and continue to cause problems to those whom you send mail.
Fortunately it is fairly benign as these things go, but it still
should be dispensed with for the public good.  Therefore, I *strongly*
recommend that if you're running Windows98 and Outlook Express that
you make sure that you have software which will recognize and remove
the pest should it be sent to you or if you are already infected.  You
can find such a tool at:

http://antivirus.cai.com/

Additional information about this specific worm can be found at:

http://www.cai.com/virusinfo/virusalert.htm#wscript

I will directly contact the individual who most recently sent the worm
our way...

--
Mickey Rowe     (rowe@psych.ucsb.edu)