Re: Raptors and size (Disney, WWD, JP)

At 02:46 pm 8/05/00 -0400, Ralph Chapman wrote:
>I think the "problem" with the too big raptors is a bit of
>red herring.
>
>Yes the raptors in Jurassic Park were bigger than we have
>and were really Deinonychus  and still too big for that
>genus, but we all know reptiles show excellent size
>variation within genera and it is certainly conceivable that
>a larger species of Velociraptor existed, and the potential
>for a very large one in organisms that grow throughout their
>lives is quite possible.

        Doubly so for an animal raised in captivity, with few selective
pressuress, ample medication when ill, plenty of A-grade meat and free
room-and-board. ;)
And given the JP ones were investments, they'd have gotten the very best of
all.

|    Marcus Good aka "Finback"             | "That is not dead       |
|      goodmr@ses.curtin.edu.au            | Which can eternal lie,  |
| http://student.curtin.edu.au/~egood      | And with strange aeons  |
| "Tuesday." - Vince, "Rex The Runt"       |       -- HP  Lovecraft, |
|                                          |      "Call of Cthulhu". |