Taking measurements

I'm having some problems finding the right way to measure total skull length in order to compare it to the relative length of other skull elements. Most of the papers list total skull length as the length measured from the tip of the premaxilla or rostral to the posterior end of the quadrate condyle. But using this has caused some problems. Take for exemple the skulls of the Pachycephalosauria, if you measure from the anterior tip of the premaxilla to the posterior end of the quadrate condyle you get a length which is much smaller than the actual length of the skull, since the quadrate condyle is facing very much anteriorly. The same problem goes for members of the Ceratopsia, because you don't take into account the posterior facing frill. So wouldn't it be for exemple better to measure total skull length from the anterior tip of the premaxilla/rostral to the posterior end of the parietal? Or can this cause problems? I was hoping that other members of the list have got something to say about this problem.

Cheers,

Nick Snels
http://www.geocities.com/athens/styx/3406/index.html